This week’s project to create a digital story has been fraught with difficulties. The first issue that arose was the idea of having images and video of my students at work. In Calgary, I am bound to protect the identity of my students through FOIP legislation. That meant no video or pictures of my students, so I was left with the quandary of how to portray their learning without them in the picture. I decided to go with showing their pre and post test examples with the component parts of this part of the unit. That is, it became more of a chronicle of how I tried to elicit learning in my students, not a chronicle of their learning in and of itself.
The next hurdle was imovie. Since I started using imovie trailers I find that imovie themes are just not exciting enough. If I am not excited to what what I make, who else will be? However, the trailers run about a minute long and I knew my movie would be about 5 minutes. So I converted my trailer to a project, added what else I wanted to include, then looped the audio and recompiled the extended imovie trailer. To accomplish this project I ended up using imovie, Comic Life, Dropbox, Youtube, Audacity, and Windows Live Movie Maker. Each tool had something that the others didn’t but combined they worked to create a project I am proud of.
The last problem of the week was that I got very sick and due to coughing lost my voice. No narration for me! As a result, I had to find alternative ways to express my thought processes without overloading the presentation. I know auditory and video work better together than video and text but one does what one has to when overcoming challenges.
I hope you enjoy the journey through the mastery of Algebraic Division.